The recipe was taken from the old faithful Cupcakes and Muffins book and was one half of their Dark and White Fudge Cakes recipe. The boy doesn't like white chocolate, but if you do make the frosting following the recipe below but replace the plain chocolate with white.
Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
The following recipe is supposed to make 20 cakes, frosted half and half with white and plain chocolate fudge frosting. Whilst the frosting recipe is therefore only for 10 cakes when I made this I only got 12 cupcakes and the frosting covered perfectly. However, you may want to make extra and/or experiment first to see how far you get.
- 200 ml/7 fl oz water
- 85 g/3 oz butter
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 225 g/8 oz plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 50 g/1 3/4 oz plain chocolate broken (I used a 85% cocoa fair-trade chocolate)
- 2 tbsp water
- 25 g/0.9 oz butter
- 175 g 6 oz icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Line two 12-hole bun tins with 20 paper cases. (As previously mentioned I only got 12 and used silicone cases.)
3. Place the water, butter syrup in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, reduce the hear and cook gently for 5 minutes. Leave to cool.
4. Meanwhile pour the milk and vanilla extract into a bowl. Add the bicarbonate of of soda and stir to dissolve.
5. Sift the flour and cocoa into a separate bowl and add the syrup mixture.
6. Stir in the milk mixture and beat until smooth, then spoon the mixture into the paper cakes.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until well risen and firm to the touch. (Whilst most cakes in silicone cases take less time this one did need the full 20 minutes but keep on eye on them.)
8. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
9. To make the frosting, place the plain chocolate in a small heatproof bowl, add the water and butter, set the bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water and heat until melted. Stir until smooth.
10. Sift the icing sugar into the bowl and beat until smooth and thick.
11. Top each cupcake with frosting and leave to set. Decorate with chocolate shavings. (Or a giant chocolate button in my case.)