Sunday 4 October 2009

A change is coming...

Last night I put on my big red coat.  This, to me, is the sign that winter is coming.  At this time for the last three years I have been at university in Preston, my best friend Katie has been hundreds of miles away down south and my boyfriend has been a couple of hours across the Pennines in Leeds.  Now my best friend is a mere 10 minutes away, my boyfriend is technically not my boyfriend any more (though still in Leeds) and I am at home.  At my family home that is, not the home I made with my friends in Preston.

For anyone who left university this year change is coming and not just in terms of the weather.  Though change is not just for us graduates.  My dad is 'growing up' and realising that he doesn't want to be alone (his girlfriend is moving in), not one but two of my older cousins are re-evaluating how they feel about having children (both are now beginning the process of trying for a child), whilst Katie has realised her intellectual potential through creativity and is taking steps through a degree to become an art therapist.

It's rather hard for me to see all these people making steps towards a future when I feel in limbo.  I'm rather uncertain as to where I want to be, who with and what to do about it.  I always said when I left university I would move away, get experience and definitely not do a masters for a few years.  As it is a masters suddenly seems safe, after all I'm used to being in education, and being at home surrounded by my family doesn't seem like a bad thing.  Essentially though it is time to do something to make a career and a life for myself.  I'm beginning to realise it doesn't matter where I do that or by what means as long as I embrace the change that is to come.  I think King Whitney Jr. was right when he said: "Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better."  For me, it's time to get inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment